title="Adlington Parish Council in Cheshire">

FAQs  »  How Do I Report Fly-Tipped Waste on Private Land?

«  Go back to previous page...

How Do I Report Fly-Tipped Waste on Private Land?

If waste has been fly-tipped on private land, or is an accumulation of rubbish on someone's property, It is usually the landowner's responsibility to remove the waste, In these situations the cost of removal may be recovered through the courts if there was offender was identified. If waste is deemed to be causing or likely to cause a statutory nuisance you can contact the Cheshire East Council Environmental Health Team on 0300 123 5015 who may be able to serve a notice on the occupier of the land to remove it within a given time.

Cases of large scale illegal tipping (a lorry load or more) are dealt with by the Environment Agency on their 24-hour hotline number: 0800 807060.

Cheshire East Council may wish to prosecute the person fly tipping and will be keen to use your evidence in court. Even if you do not wish to be a witness, it is still important to report these crimes. Helpbeat environmental crime by making sure it is always reported.

Fly tippers are doing something illegal and do not want to be caught. You should not approach them. Only approach the site when you are sure it safe to do so. Some waste is hazardous. Do not touch anything, you should not approach the waste or open any bags or containers.